Cipro, Cipro IV, Cipro XR
Classifications: antiinfective; quinolone antibiotic
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Report tendon inflammation or pain. Cipro needs to be discontinued.
- Lab tests: Culture and sensitivity tests should be done prior to initial dose. Treatment may be implemented pending results.
- Monitor urine pH; it should be less than 6.8, especially in the older adult and patients receiving high dosages of ciprofloxacin, to reduce the risk of crystalluria.
- Monitor I&O ratio and patterns: Patients should be well hydrated; assess for S&S of crystalluria.
- Monitor plasma theophylline concentrations, since drug may interfere with half-life.
- Administration with theophylline derivatives or caffeine can cause CNS stimulation.
- Assess for S&S of GI irritation (e.g., nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort) in clients receiving high dosages and in older adults.
- Monitor PT and INR in patients receiving coumarin therapy.
- Assess for S&S of superinfections (see Appendix F).
Patient & Family Education
- Immediately report tendon inflammation or pain. Cipro should be discontinued.
- Fluid intake of 2–3 L/d is advised, if not contraindicated.
- Report sudden, unexplained joint pain.
- Restrict caffeine due to the following effects (e.g., nervousness, insomnia, anxiety, tachycardia).
- Report possible toxicity. If taking theophylline derivatives, there is potential for adverse effects.
- Report nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain or discomfort.
- Use caution with hazardous activities until reaction to drug is known. Drug may cause light-headedness.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug.
What Do You Think?
Ciprofloxacin Ophthalmic (Eye) : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions Hotel paphos cipro booking Ciprofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution - FDA prescribing information
Ciprofloxacin eye drops nursing implications for aspirin
Nursing Implications For Moxifloxacin - Beyond Khidki
Cipro definition of Cipro by Medical dictionary
Ciprofloxacin - Wikipedia
Nursing Implications - m
Asymmetric Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of Miconazole and Econazole