Generic Name: Phenobarbitone sodium
Product Name: Phenobarbitone Injection (DBL)
Phenobarbitone for injection may be used for the emergency treatment of acute convulsions which may be associated with status epilepticus, eclampsia, meningitis and toxic reactions to strychnine.
It may also be useful as an adjunctive treatment for convulsive episodes due to tetanus. Febrile seizures may also be managed by this drug
Phenobarbitone is a central nervous system (CNS) depressant that it mainly used for the management of seizures. The complete mechanism by which this drug exerts its action is not known however, it may act by enhancing or mimicking the synaptic action of the neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA). Seizure control is thought to occur due to the reduction of synaptic transmission and the increase in threshold for electrical stimulation to the motor cortex (responsible for producing gross movement) of the brain.
- 100-320mg IV doses with additional doses as required to a maximum of 600mg in a 24 hour period
- 10-20mg/kg IV as a loading dose.
- Maintenance dosage should be 1-6mg/kg/day IV
- 10-20mg/kg IV by slow injection
- Repeat at 20 minute intervals as necessary until seizure control is obtained or a total dose of 1-2g is given
- 15-20mg/kg slow IV over 10 minutes.
- Repeat at a dose of 5-10mg/kg at 20 minute intervals until seizure control is obtained or a total dose of 40mg/kg is given
Common side effects
- mood changes
- skin blisters and changes
- frozen shoulder
- joint pain
Uncommon side effects
- impairment in concentration
- respiratory depression
- blood pressure lowering
- abnormal heart rhythms
- folate deficiency
- calcium deficiency
- injection site reactions
- liver problems
- increased vitamin D requirements (may need supplements)
- sex hormone disturbances
- menstrually related mood disorder
For further information talk to your doctor.
Augen- und Nasentropfen- Wissen für Mediziner - Amboss Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ciprofloxacin hcl Eating Cheese While Taking Cipro For Ulcers Can I Eat Yogurt While
Carprodyl 50mg dosierung ciprofloxacin
I'm actually glad to hear I have lori! Abdominal
Tuberculosis (TB Practice Essentials, Background)
Noble Ridge Vineyards - Blog - Musings of a Retired Guy
Health - Community Links
Xarelto Entire Monograph - Epocrates Online
Antibiotic Classification Mechanism - Basic Science