Interested in a Discount on Ciprofloxacin?
Ciprofloxacin Dosage in Children
The recommended ciprofloxacin dosage in children is based on the child's weight. For oral products, the usual dosage for treating serious urinary tract or kidney infections is 10 mg to 20 mg per kg of body weight (about 4.5 mg to 9.1 mg per pound) every 12 hours. For the IV solution, the usual dose of ciprofloxacin is 6 mg to 10 mg per kg of body weight (about 2.7 mg to 4.5 mg per pound) every eight hours.
The maximum oral dose in children is 750 mg per dose, and the maximum IV dose is 400 mg per dose. Treatment usually continues for 10 to 21 days.
The usual dose of ciprofloxacin for treating anthrax exposure in children is 15 mg per kg of body weight (about 6.8 mg per pound) every 12 hours for oral ciprofloxacin and 10 mg per kg (about 4.5 mg per pound) every 12 hours for the IV solution. The maximum oral dose is 500 mg per dose, and the maximum IV dose is 400 mg per dose. The length of treatment is 60 days.
Dosing of ciprofloxacin ear and eye products will be similar for adults and children.
General Information on Taking CiprofloxacinSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with ciprofloxacin include the following:
- This medication comes in many different forms. The particular directions for each product can vary substantially, so refer to the information for your specific ciprofloxacin product.
- When taking ciprofloxacin by mouth, it usually does not orange matter if you take it with or without food. However, one of the extended-release products, Proquin® XR, should be taken with your main meal of the day. Try taking other ciprofloxacin products with food if they upset your stomach.
- When using the oral liquid suspension, shake the bottle well for about 15 seconds before each dose to make sure the medicine is thoroughly mixed.
- The tablets should be swallowed whole. Do not crush, cut, or chew them. Also, do not chew the tiny capsules in ciprofloxacin liquid suspension.
- You should not take ciprofloxacin oral products with dairy products alone (such as milk or yogurt) or with calcium-fortified juices (such as orange juice). However, you can take ciprofloxacin with meals that contain these food items.
- Do not wear contact lenses while using ciprofloxacin eye products. Ask your healthcare provider when you may wear contacts again.
- You should not go swimming while using ciprofloxacin ear drops unless your healthcare provider says otherwise. In general, try to keep your ears dry during treatment.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not miss a dose or stop taking ciprofloxacin earlier than your healthcare provider recommends, even if you are feeling better. Stopping this medicine too soon may cause your infection to return or may lead to bacterial resistance.
< Go Back to Ciprofloxacin Dosage, Page 1
Ciprofloxacin Antibiotic Information
Giving Ciprofloxacin to Children and Treatment Tips Ciprofloxacin ear drops perforated eardrum and flying Ciprofloxacin (Mixture) Oral : Uses, Side Effects
Antibiotikatherapie - DocCheck Flexikon
Bactrim DS Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures
Bankruptcy Law in India - LexVidhi
Cipro (Ciprofloxacin Side Effects, Interactions, Warning)